|For Immediate Release, Wednesday 2 October 2019|
Activists call on Kelly Rowland to #PullASwifty
Like Taylor Swift, Kelly Rowland appears to be completely unaware of the shocking abuse and deaths horses suffer in the racing industry.
“We need to inform Kelly Rowland of the cruelty she will be endorsing and ask her to #PullASwifty” said Kristin Leigh, Communications Director for the Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses (CPR).
It was recently announced the megastar has agreed to perform at Australia’s deadliest racetrack, Royal Randwick, as part of ‘The Everest’.
“The Everest has been specifically designed to lure the younger generation who are turning their back on horse racing cruelty to the track and towards gambling habits. The booking of Kelly Rowland is also specifically designed to do the same thing” Ms Leigh said.
“More horses were killed at Royal Randwick than any other track in Australia last year.” Ms Leigh said. “It is Ocean’s Faith who sticks in my memory most. At just two years old, she could not keep up but was whipped repeatedly toward the finish line where she finally collapsed and died.”
“Kelly Rowland is a powerful woman, a fierce feminist, a symbol of strength and a dedicated philathropist for many social justice causes. She encourages equality and those who have the ability to speak up for others in need to to do so, whilst also encouraging self-empowerment. We now need to speak up to her to ensure she knows her support of The Everest promotes the oppression, suffering and murder of thousands of vulnerable horses every year”.
“Taylor Swift backed out of the Melbourne Cup once fans made her aware of the cruelty she was endorsing. We like to think Kelly Rowland will stand up and do the same”.
CPR are calling on all fans and animal lovers to head over to @KellyRowland on Twitter and politely ask her to #PullASwifty and also to sign their petition here.
Some things Kelly may not know:
1) Last year our Deathwatch report exposed more horses were killed at Royal Randwick than any other track in Australia – read here.
2) The Everest offers $14 million in prize money which helps ensure horses will be pushed so hard that 90% will bleed from the lungs as studies have shown. With the stakes so high, they will be beaten hard with the whip and pushed well beyond their limits.
3) 1 horse is killed on Australian racetracks every 3 days (that we know of – the real numbers would be much higher)
4) When no longer wanted, thousands of horses are sent to one of our thirty-three knackeries to be turned into dog food, or one of two slaughterhouses to be killed for human consumption where they endure horrific deaths. These slaughterhouses depend on a steady supply of young horse flesh from the racing industry.
5) When in training, the life of a horse used for racing is one of isolation and confinement. They cannot socialise and express their natural behaviours. They cannot graze. They are fed a concentrated diet that leads to 90% of horses suffering painful stomach ulcers. Painful instruments of domination and control are used on them including bits, whips, spurs, tongue-ties and jiggers (electric shock devices).
6) Approximately 45% of the horses bred for racing never make it to the track and most vanish without a trace.
6) Mares used for breeding the next big winner are tied down to be mated, often against their will, by a stallion who is trucked around the country ‘servicing’ them. Her foals are taken from her early for training or to be killed if they do not show the desired attributes. Read more here.
“The systemic abuse and exploitation horses suffer in the racing industry are not the kind of practices someone who supports justice and equality should be endorsing” Ms Leigh said.
“Kelly Rowland, please #PullASwifty and cancel your gig at The Everest!”.
For More information: horseracingkills.com